Saint Johns Bridge

by Ivy Michaels

/
  • Digital Track
    Streaming + Download

    Includes unlimited streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
    Purchasable with gift card

      $0.95 USD  or more

    You own this

     

about

This song has been almost two years in the making. I started writing it right at the beginning of the pandemic. About 80% of the lyrics were written in the first week, and then the remaining 20% were added piecemeal over the space of many months.

Honestly, it's about a lot of things. But I don't really feel like discussing those things. I hope you enjoy it. I poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this, and I'm stupidly proud of it.

lyrics

Mother, father, blood and water, How are you today?
Peeking through the looking glass its dark enough to stay
Cigarettes and razor blades and needles full of white
Focus screens and apertures and falling through the light

Some say it's all over now but I think it's just begun
Falling backwards out of step with nowhere left to run
So leap before you look because it's quite a long way down
But don't forget to close your eyes before you hit the ground

Acapella, Cinderella, Rhapsody in blue
Dust and smoke that wrap the city in the afternoon
Crooked smiles, apathetic, watching me go by
Calling off the royal wedding just to make her cry

Some say its all over now, but I think it's just begun
Falling backwards out of step with one hand on the gun
So leap before you look because it's quite a long way down
And don't forget to close your eyes before you hit the ground

There's fires burning all around
Through the smoke it's hard to see
But I'm trying so hard to climb out
I'm trying to believe
That all new beginnings come from ends
So cross your fingers and pray for rain
Cause summer's almost over friend
Soon snow will fall again

Some say it's all over now, but I think it's just begun
Pulling back the curtains to admit the morning sun
When you ask me how I feel, I don't know what to say
Cause I've been in the dark so long I'm blinded by the day

credits

released May 5, 2022
Lyrics by Ivy Michaels
Guitars, Bass, Vocals, and Drum Programming by Ivy Michaels
Recorded, Produced, Mixed, and Engineered by Ivy Michaels
Cover art photography by Wikimedia User Alfred Twu commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St._Johns_Bridge_July_2016.jpg
Cover art arrangement by Ivy Michaels

Recorded in REAPER.

license

tags

about

Ivy Michaels Portland, Oregon

Ivy Michaels is a musician, songwriter, and author living in the Pacific Northwest with her two partners and three cats. When she isn't making music (or writing) she enjoys sci-fi movies, techno-thriller novels, and a Grape NOS energy drink.

contact / help

Contact Ivy Michaels

Streaming and
Download help

Redeem code

Report this track or account